Saturday, August 4, 2012

Jungle treking

Hi everyone,
It feels so long since me and Dan did one of these all the way back in Kuching and just to quickly clear this up, it is Matt and not Neil posting today, but I'm guessing what you all really want to hear about is the trek that we've all been doing these past few days! First off I think I should say that all the challengers, and the teachers as well, deserve so much praise for what we've all just done, it was hard and strenuous but we all have made it!
I'm sure that you will all get the finer points of the trek from everyone at some point and I'm sure they can explain it all in much more vivid detail than I can, but as a team the amount of bonding we did was actually incredible, especially consiering we have bonded a considerable amount before. It was a real team effort and we really played to each others strengths, and it was a very nice trek, long, rather hard, but nice all the same.
Our guides were amazing as well, making us bracelets and necklaces from parts of trees as well as helping us when we need it, and they're hospitality was unparralled on the first night.
We all had our cravings along the trek, most namely and most spoken about was of course food (mothers watch out, you may have some long and very specific shopping lists before we come back). Personally a bacon, egg and sausage bap for breakfast, a ham and cheese toastie for lunch and a pizza for dinner would just about hit the spot after a day or so of airplane food.
But for me, the highlight of the trek was undoubtably the scenery, not so much in the jungle, that was literally just tree after tree with the odd bush, but out of the jungle you could see all of the hills with all the greenry, the sheer amount of greenry was mind blowing. For me though, the real treat was walking past and through the small Malay villages, with the rice padis and the wooden houses on stilts and so on, it was magical.
And to end, I simply have to say I can't believe how fast Borneo has gone, it feels odd to think that we've already been here for 2 weeks. It seems like only yesterday I was saying goodbye to family and friends! So far though it has been one amazing trip and I'm pretty sure that it is exceeding everyones expectations in some way or another and all I can say is bring on the next 2 weeks!

Matt

1 comment:

  1. It is really good to hear from you all again and it sounds like it was amazing. So pleased that you all got through it and had such a wonderful experience.(sending lots of love to Beth H)

    ReplyDelete